Thursday, November 3, 2011

Radio activity & Rest time

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most high will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
Psalm 91:1

Another day of appointments...who knew cancer makes life so busy? Beside the usual things one does, just to keep things in order and life rolling, you have lots of Dr. appointments and paperwork to keep in order.
First, I had my annual eye exam (not cancer related). It was kind of weird because I had to get my chart from Dr. Gerlach, as this would be the last time I see him as my optometrist. Now I need to find a new optometrist in San Diego. Besides ordering new contact lenses, I ordered myself some cute, sassy eye glasses. I will be wearing glasses a bit more than normal this year, I am sure. When I was trying them on I would pull back my hair so I could get the"full affect" of what I would look like:). Not to toot my own horn...but I can pull off short hair-hopefully that will be the same with no hair;)
This afternoon, I had my Pet scan...1 of the 2 final tests we are needing to get my treatment plan in order. I wasn't really sure what to expect, not knowing many people who have had a Pet scan. When the company who does these called to schedule my appointment they asked a series of questions. One of them being "are you claustrophobic". Ugh! I said "no", but it was lingering in the back of my mind why they would ask such a thing? One thing that they forgot to tell me is that I cannot hold or feed Bellen for 12 hrs., due to the radio active dye. Oops! Jason had to be a church tonight, so Bellen spent more time with Grandma & Grandpa Neese...she has been with them all day and boy, do I miss her!!!
After waiting 45 minutes after my appointment time, a technician ushered me thru the building, out the back door to a mobile unit("huh? I thought, "what kind of test is this?"). Apparently, the Pet scan machine travels around to different locations from Bakersfield to Modesto. I was given a small IV of Radio-active fluid, then told to sit still and quiet for a half hour. No problem there! I closed my eyes and enjoyed the peace, quiet and rest time!
After that I was brought into the room where the Pet scan machine was. I laid on a narrow table, they covered me with a blanket in a dim lit room...more rest time! For 30 minutes the machine (a tube-like tunnel, opened on either end) took pictures of the inside of my body. The radio-active dye helps to identify if there is anything else "cancer-ish" in my body. I decided that I would keep my eyes closed the whole time and sing praise songs. My brother, Dustin, made me a copy of the new Phil Wickam and it played thru my mind the whole time. I felt so peaceful. Thank you to everyone that prayed that I would find peace today, as I had this test. God provided the answer to our request.


  1. You for sure can pull off short hair and will look just as cute with no hair!!! I can't wait to see your new glasses. They sound fun. I'm sure Bells missed her mommy today too. Praying for continue peace. Love you!

  2. Long time no see! I just heard the news a few days ago (it takes time for Visalia news to make it up to Portland, OR). I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers during your "adventure".

    -Amelia Pitts (Shepard)


Blog Archive